They go by several different names -- cut out shoulder tops, open sleeve tops, open shoulder tops, and the most popular choice, cold shoulder tops. But ultimately, all these names essentially lead back to the same great design -- a short or long sleeve top that bares the shoulders, and sometimes a little bit more. This trend works on so many levels: first, it's cool, airy and perfect for hot weather, and secondly, it can transform even the most basic tee into a fashion statement. Keep reading for some of the most stylish cold shoulder tops available online right now.
1. Silk Cutout Top
The Silk Cutout Top from ShopNastyGal.com ($78) is a pretty basic, solid colored open shoulder top, but it's great for two main reasons -- first, it's silk, which is a great alternative to the usual polyester blouses that get all smelly and yucky in the heat. Secondly, it's orange -- tangerine to be correct, which is such a fun and fresh color for summer 2012. Pair this with a long gold medallion necklace and a great pair of cut-off shorts.
2. Woven Top with Open Shoulders
Fuschia is a great color for any time of the year, and that's one thing that makes the Woven Top with Open Shoulders from FashiontoFigure.com ($19) a must have. This light weight, semi-sheer button down top with open shoulders is not only stylish but also cool for the hot weather. Available in sizes 1x, 2x and 3x, and pairs well with denim skinnies or capri's.
3. A.N.A Cold-Shoulder Dolman-Sleeve TopBright colored patterns are a must for summer, and sheer is totally in -- mix those two trends with the open shoulder trend and you've got one hot, must have top. The A.N.A Cold-Shoulder Dolman-Sleeve Top from JC Penney ($20) does just that. The fun, art deco inspired purple, orange and gold print stands out and looks great with dark skinny jeans.
4. Alexa Top
The Alexa Top in Aqua Fern by Ramona La Rue ($152 at DesignsbyStephene.com) puts a spin on the open shoulder look by adding ruching to the sleeve, right under the cut-out, and you have to admit it's quite a good look! But most of all, what makes this pretty silk top work is the beautiful light blue tropical print it comes in.
5. Open Shoulder Tops by Elan International
Bring out your inner sailor girl with the nautical inspired Open Shoulder Tops by Elan International ($32 at eDressme.com). This adorable blue and white striped top is almost too comfy to be stylish with it's a-line, swing style body. Pair it with denim cut-offs and a long gold pendant for a look that's casual and cute.
6. Open Shoulders BlouseBasics are a must in any wardrobe, but who needs yet another boring white tee? A solid color, cotton open shoulder top is both trend forward and versatile, especially one with a high-low hem like the Open Shoulders Blouse from Mango.com ($49.99) A top like this goes with just about anything; make it fun by pairing it with a pair of patterned shorts or sailor style shorts, and accessorizing it with a geometric necklace.
7. Cold Shoulder Top with Gold Beading
Add a regal feel to any outfit with the Cold Shoulder Top with Gold Beading from Foreign Exchange ($47 at ShopFE.net). This billowy, sheer top with open sleeves comes in both black and royal blue, with gold beaded stripes on the bodice, along the cut-outs at the sleeve, as well as the neckline. Pair it with satin shorts, and simply change your shoes from flats to heels for a day to night look.
8. Cold Shoulder Chiffon Top
This long, sheer open shoulder top is a great alternative to the bold and neon colors of summer. Foreign Exchange opted for earthy colors and an organic pattern for more of a sultry look for their Cold Shoulder Chiffon Top ($27 at ShopFE.net). Looks great with black skinnies, platform heels and a stack of gold bangles.